Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Lesson 3: Don't Rely on Your Inner-Level













Readers, you are so lucky because I'm playing catch up on blog posts! All of these things have happened in the last month and a half of living in my new house, but they are all so important to share.

Everyone gets so excited about a new house because they get to decorate! Now, I'm not a great decorator but I'm pretty sure I have the best taste out of anyone I know. I haven't had time yet to paint or do anything major, but I have had time to hang pictures, frames, and stuff to add colour to my space.

My mom bought me these two really nice pictures from good old Canadian Tire! Side note, if you're looking for fun pictures, Canadian Tire is where it's at! For those of you who are not my Canadian friends, Canadian Tire is like a Home Depot / Walmart but yet so much better. Anyway, these two pictures are great! I brought them back with me from Thunder Bay and decided that they belonged in my living room.

I am not a patient person. I know, this is shocking to most of you. When it comes to hanging pictures I'm especially not patient my Dad would probably say I'm just lazy.

My way of hanging something on the wall goes like this:
1. Find a picture you want to hang.
2. Find a spot on the wall that I think would fit that picture.
3. Hammer a nail (don't worry too much about how big or small this nail is) into the wall.
4. Hang the picture on the nail and hope it stays.

Perfect.

Well, this time things were a bit trickier because I wanted to hang these two pictures side by side. So this meant I had to re-think my typical wall hanging steps.

My way of hanging side by side pictures on the wall:
1. Find two pictures you want to hang side by side.
2. Find a spot on the wall that I think will fit both.
3. Hammer the first nail into the wall (again, not too worried about the size of the nail).
4. Hang first picture and hope it stays.
*Now, here's where it differs and gets tricky...
5. Put my elbow on the first picture and lay my arm straight across the wall and mark the approximate spot for the next picture to go. Scratch spot with a nail.
6. Take another nail and hammer it into the wall in the spot that looks "just about right" compared to where my mark is and where I believe the other nail is in the wall.
7. Hang second picture and hope it stays.
Boom.
Done.

I was so proud of myself for hanging these two large pictures. They looked pretty good except for the fact that they definitely weren't even. The second picture was much lower than the first. So, in true fashion, like anyone would do I took the picture down from the wall, used my hammer to remove the nail and then again used my "inner level" to move the nail up a bit till I believed it was right on! I then hammered it in, and hung the second picture back up. Boom. Done.

Well, it looked much better than the first time but it's still not exactly right. I assume that most people don't notice it. If you look at the pictures I posted you'll see that it's only slightly off.

What I learned from Lesson 3:
- My "inner level" is not exactly reliable.
- Every time you put a nail in the wall it leaves a hole. Every time. Good thing these big pictures cover up my mistakes.
- My arm is not perfectly straight all the way across and does not act as a perfect ruler.
- Don't attempt to hang pictures when you're hungry... it distracts you. By the second attempt at hanging pictures I was way more interested in getting a cheese string and watching whatever I had recorded on my DVR (most likely "Say Yes to the Dress", "Cake Boss", or "Housewives..").

No comments:

Post a Comment